Brushing your teeth has long been one of the key factors in maintaining oral health. From eliminating bad breath to fighting cavities, your toothbrush works hard to keep teeth healthy and clean—so long as you’re brushing often! While clean teeth are great for your oral health, you may be surprised to learn clean teeth also present benefits to your overall health. With this, you now have yet another reason to keep those teeth clean, but what exactly are these health benefits associated with clean teeth? Let the experts at Sweetwater Dental fill you in!
Maintaining Clean Teeth: 5 Benefits for Your Health
We can all admit we don’t stay up on our oral hygiene from time to time. Whether you’re on vacation or you’ve been busy, we’ve all skipped out on brushing our teeth at one point or another. Whichever the case, you should never skip brushing and flossing, as they present benefits to not just your mouth, but your body too. Check out the list below to see how else your body benefits when you keep teeth clean.
- According to studies, gum disease increases your chance of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. Maintain regular cognitive function and be sure to brush and floss twice a day!
- The same bacteria that causes gum disease can make its way into your lungs, potentially causing respiratory infections like pneumonia.
- Researchers have also found high levels of the gum disease bacteria, fusobacterium nucleatum, in tumors. Gum disease is starting to look much more problematic!
- Since pregnant women are prone to gingivitis, they are more susceptible to gum disease, which can result in premature birth and low birth weight.
- If the bacteria that’s constantly residing in your mouth makes its way into your bloodstream, it could increase your risk of heart attacks and strokes.
As you can see, you can prevent a variety of health defects and diseases by taking proper care of your teeth and gums. Clearly, gum disease poses numerous threats to your body, so brushing and flossing regularly is key. These aren’t the only benefits of maintaining clean teeth, either.
More Advantages of a Healthy Mouth
While clean teeth will help lower your risk of the many health issues listed above, that’s not all proper oral care will do for you. By keeping your oral hygiene up to par, you’ll require less dental treatments, which saves you time and money—and we all love saving money. So, avoid costly treatment in the future, and start caring for your teeth and gums today. Additionally, your breath will stay fresh and your teeth will look great! Talk about a win-win situation.
Of course, brushing and flossing your teeth will help prevent decay, gum disease, and a variety of other health issues, but we always recommend patients visit their dentist at least twice a year for regular checkups and professional cleanings. And what better place to do it than at Sweetwater Dental?
Save Money and Your Health with Sweetwater Dental
Whichever way you look at it, the benefits of clean teeth are far reaching. By maintaining your oral health, you’ll save money, lower your risk for disease, and achieve a beautiful smile! Give Sweetwater Dental in Rock Springs, WY a call today at 307.382.2707 to schedule an appointment. Of course, you can always contact us here.